Sunday, October 9, 2011

Flying Adventures

March 11, 1995  -  This was the day my flying adventure began.  My very first flying lesson took me from Farmingdale's Long Island Republic Airport and back.  My flight instructor and I flew around NYC.  It was nice seeing the sights such as the Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center (NEVER FORGET 9/11), Empire State Building and other great landmarks from the air.  My very first lesson was in a Piper Tomahawk such as the one in the photo below.

Piper Tomahawk N2322D

Tomahawk Cockpit

After a harsh winter in NY delayed my flight training for the private pilot certificate, I decided to head to Daytona Beach, Florida to complete my training.  At the time, I had only 32 hours total time and have not flown for six months.  After three weeks in Daytona Beach, I earned my private pilot certificate.  That awesome day was September 29, 1996.

It would be four years before I earned my next rating.  In the meantime, I flew mostly leisurely renting planes and taking friends up.  One such occasion, I took a friend up and flew around NYC (pre 9/11). Below are some photos.

Approaching NYC
Flying by Coney Island at 500'
Statue of Liberty
The World Trade Center - NYC
NEVER FORGET!
I earned the instrument rating on April 25, 2000.  It is such an awesome experience to fly above the clouds and feel the warmth of the sun when on the ground it is rainy and cool.  For anyone learning how to fly and just want to obtain the private pilot license, I definitely recommend pursuing the instrument rating as well.  I have two main reasons for this.  One, the weather can change quick. When that happens, you will be glad you are instrument rated.  Two, instrument training makes you a more disciplined pilot by flying more accurately.

My commercial certificate was probably the easiest to earn. I became a commercial pilot on October 3, 2000. Since becoming a commercial pilot, I decided it was time to put that to use.  I became a ferry pilot delivering aircraft to different owners around the country.  The experience was incredible.  I flew over all types of terrain and almost always encountered unfavorable weather.  Flying different types of aircraft was also fun.

Ferry flight from El Paso, TX to Orlando, FL.
Ferry flight from Portland, OR to Dallas, TX. 
After doing several ferry flights, I decided I wanted to teach others how to fly.  So, on June 13, 2001 after a 5.5 hour oral exam and a 2.9 hour flight test, I became a certified flight instructor.  I started flight instructing at a flight school out of Grand Prairie, TX.  I enjoyed teaching immensely and I flight instructed for several months up until I had to relocate from TX back to NY because of my other job at American Airlines.  At the time, I was a fleet service clerk or otherwise known as a baggage handler or ramp rat.  I wasn't in NY long and I was able to come back to TX but I never went back to flight instructing.  I exercised my flight instructor certificate mostly doing flight reviews and aircraft checkouts.

Today, I am not doing much flying.  I initially started flight training with the intent of becoming an airline pilot.  I have what I feel are very valid reasons as to why I decided not to pursue that career. Flying at this point in my life has become more of a hobby than a career pursuit.  It is a very expensive hobby thus a reason for not flying much.  I have a love/hate relationship for the airlines and I would have to explain in a separate post.  We'll see.

As for now, it is past my bedtime.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment