Saturday, April 14, 2012

My First Home



I was a single 26 year old guy when I made the decision to buy a house. I remember the day vividly when I chose the lot I wanted to build on.  It was October of 2002 when I signed the paperwork to start building.  My closing date was March 13th of 2003 and I was excited to have in my possession the keys to my new home.  Of course my hand was all numb from all the signing I had to do at closing but it was worth it.  I have had several roommates which had its pros and cons.  The pros were mostly the income received from rent money and the socializing at home.  The cons were lack of privacy and the increase of wear and tear on appliances and things around the house.  The house has seen many cosmetic changes especially since I have been married.  Solar screens have been placed on all the windows.  They look good and serve a purpose as they help keep some of the Texas heat out.  Most of the light fixtures have been replaced.  All the door knobs have been replaced. The vinyl flooring has been removed from all the bathrooms and replaced with tile.  The carpeting has been removed from all the common areas and replaced with laminate flooring and rugs.  The landscaping has been completely redone.  All I can say is, WOW!  The house has come a long way!!  Buying a home is a very educational experience.  I was at the property almost every day watching the building process.  My biggest regret is that I had the opportunity to build the house on a culdesac.  I chose not to because I did not want to pay the $1,000 premium it would have cost to build there.  That was chump change and for resale, a home on a culdesac has more advantage.  My other regret was that I chose an electric stove over a gas stove.  Most people prefer gas to electric. Overall, I really do like my home.  When I was engaged to be married, my fiancee and I were considering buying a new home by the time we married simply to start new.  We decided against that as it did not make financial sense.  My wife and I do tease ourselves sometimes and go look at new homes on the weekends.  Although it is a tease as we are not looking to move at this time, this too is an educational experience because it helps us realize what we definitely would like to have in our next home.          


It will be an exciting day when our next home is purchased.  In the meantime, I will enjoy our current home.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment